Video Apex Bookshelf

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

CS4...enough said

The people at Adobe have now released the details of the newest version of After Effects here. It now sports a stand-alone version of Mocha, three new effects (including an ever-sought-after Cartoon effect - no more sitting frame by frame in Illustrator), much easier navigation, and Photoshop 3D layers rendering, among an assortment of other new enhancements.

I've been getting several requests on doing both a Mocha tutorial and a video-to-cartoon tutorial, and now it looks like I'll have to! Although I'm a bit skeptical on how well the cartoon effect will work, at its defaults anyway.

Be sure to check it out and preorder your copy of After Effects CS4 for Windows here or Mac here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks I was just wondering recently when/if it would be coming out. It look sweet man.

Anonymous said...

looks great! I just preordered mine!

Anonymous said...

now with the Cartoon effect people won't be as impressed when they see the look...that kind of sucks because people will just think "oh they used the cartoon effect"

Anonymous said...

Miles - I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

I hope they haven't changed it too much...it was already great the way it was. Hopefully they just added the new features and left it at that.

Anonymous said...

alot of it looks good but just not very useful for the majority of professional users. maybe ill upgrade after a while and if it looks worth it.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to update ASAP! It looks awesome!

Grant Swanson said...

The switch will definitely be worth it, with the included Mocha and the new mini flowchart, in my humble opinion anyway.

I completely agree with what Miles said though.

Unknown said...

Well I hope the cartoon effect filter sucks -- wouldn't be quite as fun if everybody could do it.

I've managed to create a "decent" looking manual cartoon filter, which I'll share with you sometime soon.

Grant Swanson said...

Richard – I'd be interested in seeing your manual cartoon filter, or an example of it. Would you be able to post it?

Anonymous said...

In a rush, but here's a real quick example:

Obviously, you'd need to work manually on the eyes, but the rest was done with a combination of layers and filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JuKHo70ec

Mail me at Richy@outcast.tv if you want more direct contact to see how it was done.